Friday, August 12, 2016

Zippy's Heart Attack



  Never suspected to have one and still be alive. I awoke Sunday at 04:00 Hrs with a strong pain in the center of my chest, so I got up and took two aspirin. Then as I got dressed, pain started down my left arm and up the side of my neck. I knew I was in trouble, so being the idiot I am, I grabbed my wallet and keys and drove myself to the close hospital. 

Providence Heart Center - Nationally Ranked Heart Center‎


  I made it from the car to the ER door and then a Doc saw me and was yelling something as she ran to me. Then several guys grabbed me and put me on a gurney and rushed me to a submarine ( looks like one. )  My clothes went off and then I saw my heart on a big screen TV. I was on a table with about ten people around me and being sedated and my groin being shaved.

  I had a blocked artery that feeds one side of the heart muscle, they saw this and decided to insert a fiber wire from my thigh artery to the blocked heart artery. As soon as they cleared the blockage, the pain was gone. They then used another wire tool to install a stent and with the video camera inspected the rest of the artery, amazing tools and skills by all involved.

  After all the fiber video, they decided I should have two more in a few weeks. They kept me in recovery until about 23:00 Hrs and then moved me to Cardio ICU. (sleep not possible there, due to hourly blood tests) I was to remain another day, but then they decided to finish the stents, before I headed for the hills.

  Due to my getting professional help ASAP, my heart came back to good shape. The muscle came back to life and appears well. I am on ten pills a day now and have to go to rehab for body and diet. 
  I just got home last night and still feel tired and woosey. I have to be careful with the two artery's that were opened, until they repair themselves. 

  Not the way I had planned to spend the week.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad you are around to write about it. Diet! Diet! Diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      A big change in diet is underway now.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I sure hope this all works out well, still have a bandage to remove tomorrow. Feeling much better. Must go easy for two weeks, then exercise to make up for it.

      Delete
  3. Yikes! Thank God for modern medicine. I will scold you now for driving yourself to the hospital, but it probably saved your life. ( I would probably do the same thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Someone did ask how I got there and started to scold me, but the surgeon quickly shut them down. Reacting quick saved his life.

      Delete
  4. Damn!!! I'm glad this post turned out in good news. At first I thought your blog post title was a "teaser" to generate more traffic. Didn't you just have a physical a short time ago when they suggested a diet change?? I wonder why they did not catch anything then. With a family history of heart disease I've been waiting for what you described but I've been lucky so far after 64 years.

    I'm glad everything turned out okay and sounds like you had some great professional help. Get well soon and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve!
      A simple ultra sound found the problem quickly.
      I got very lucky and yes my love of bacon cheese burgers nearly killed me.

      Delete
  5. A very close call for you indeed. I think you had better hustle yourself back on down to Disneyworld and get yourself aboard one of those high end rumbling roller coasters you like so much and get that heart of yours some needed exercise to build up it's strength again. Might want to grab a Veggieburger along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Al.
      It was a wake up call for sure, I will do as much as I can in Disney and Hollywood Studios this Winter. It appears my weight loss that my GP advised is going to happen due to this as a side effect. Most things I enjoyed are off limits now. The big hassle now is the 10 pills a day, that requires some thought. Two of them are horse size and a chore to get down. The Doc called to check on my condition and re stated how lucky I was to ID the problem and get in ASAP. Minutes count when blood flow quits and I should make a full recovery in due time.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Bill.
      I may have to quit the Slow Down More, Do Less club.

      Delete
  7. Boy you are one lucky fellow. I have to say that I too thought this was a joke about something that surprised or panicked you but I have also wondered how you could not have a heart attack with so little exercise and such a diet. I hope Kathy will get you out doing some things and control what you eat. It's tough to learn to eat different if you are convinced that fat and sugar and salt make things taste good. Amazing that you could drive yourself there. You really are one lucky fellow. Definitely a huge warning. Don't be like too many other guys I have heard about who are good boys for a while and then within a year are back to their old tricks and the next one does kill them. Not fair to Kathy at a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sherry.
    Kathy has tried for years to change me and has to some degree. Now she on the war path to determine what is good for me, things I will eat daily. She is pretty smart about food and will keep me straight. Most of the things I have to give up were not that important to me. While in the ICU I did notice most heart patients were women, perhaps the men did not make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Zippy...sure hope all goes well and you get firmly back on your feet. Enjoyed our Alaska visit...now back down the madness they call Washington (and I don't mean DC, got a whole another word for that place)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I will be spending a lot of time on the net for about ten days, had planned to read, but my Kindle Paper White died yesterday. Contacted Amazon tech support and I am out of warranty, but they have already shipped me a new one for $ 50. It should be here Monday and I think that is great customer service.

      Delete
  10. WOW I get internet again and find out you went off trying to get in bad shape. Congratulations on being smart about your trouble and the good luck to be into recovery now. Hint: don't do it again, OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I look forward to your adventures. I am restricted to short walks around the hood.

      Delete