Sunday, September 11, 2016

Week 4


One of many that made me fat



  Exercise is my life now. I weigh 210 pounds this weekend, which is down from 235 before heart attack and 265 pounds before I retired five years ago. My energy has returned and I can lift and carry 50 pounds, getting up from the ground is a lot easier for me now also.



  On days between my physical therapy, I walk 1.7 miles at 2.8 miles per hour and also work out with weights and a leg press. It is about the same amount of work as I get in PT, but without the monitoring. There is a guy in PT who has been there for a year since his heart attack and is so fit I thought he was a jogger or long distance runner. He said he weighed more than me and had a heart attack on his retirement day from a large corporation. Now he wants to live and be able to enjoy retirement and is highly motivated. My insurance and motivation is not as good as his I think.



  I only used 143 Gig Bytes of 150 allowed last billing period and I only have 27 days to use 150 again. Not much chance of making it, as I am only at 15 gig now and there is only so much time in a day. I need a break form movies for a bit.


  Yesterday was our last sunny day of Summer, a bit chilly made it good for a long walk. The trees are all yellow now and made for a most beautiful day to be outside. Been eating a lot of yummy watermelon this week, that time of year up here.
Too many of these were my lunch in the past
 

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your progress. I cannot imagine what it takes to get through a heart attack and live to blog about it. I can only remember what my dad told me when he had his quad by-pass in 1987 and is still living at 88 yrs old. Diets and exercise are always hard to change and getting away from those photos in your blog may be harder than anything.

    I read this article this morning concerning the change in theories about what causes heart attacks. It's not the first time I've read this kind of news. It really makes you wonder which doctor to believe and which food is best.

    I'm post the link here: http://livingtraditionally.com/butter-benefits/

    It will be amazing the changes you will see just from a basic exercise program and it sounds like you are off to a great start ... keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sir, Been 47 days with no soda or booze or prepared food. Quite a change just in that, but no subconscious calling to rebel yet. The food wifey make for me is good tasting and in portion size I want. She has been great at finding things I like and modifying them to be no or very low salt and no to very low fat and good fat when possible. It helped since we always used olive oil and there are about twenty meals I like. My cardio Doc gave the OK for two white castles / Krystals a month:), that was a big delight for me going to Florida and Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your doctor mean 2 individual white castles or 2 bags of white castles?? LOL

      Delete
    2. Two single square sliders, NO FRIES or soda. I may be happy with once a Winter.

      Delete
  3. The one to believe is the only doctor to ever REVERSE heart disease that I know of, Caldwell Esselstyn. I think what you have done us terrific and you are only going to feel better and more agile as the weight comes off. Better post some of wifey's recipes. She seems to be a key to your success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for the name of the doctor. I've bookmarked his site and will read his information. I'm familiar with a plant based diet as I was a veggie in my 20's and was even a cook at a veggie restaurant in Encinitas Calif.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the health info, but going veggie does not fit into my idea of quality of life. I am making compromises that I should have made years ago, but they are ones I can live with. I have sworn off anything deep fried, but that is it so far. Eating as many veggies as I can tolerate at this time. Taking baby steps towards healthy is something that works for me.

      Delete