Saturday, October 1, 2016

Year 5 Retired

Our years run from 1 October each year, works for me anyway. So here is what we did last year:

   October; 15 nights on the beach in Oceanside California, Many micro brews checked out, our first and possibly last 12 man hot air balloon ride through wine country, A Taste of Gaslight District, many trips to San Diego Zoo and Wildlife center, day trips to Salton Sea and Anza  Borrego Park and much time in Coronado. Back in Alaska it was 3 flights in a R-44 helicopter for me.


  November;  We were off to Florida for the Sarasota Chalk Festival and Sand Sculptures, then my dual instruction in how to fly a P-51D WWII fighter plane ( lifetime event ). Then we checked into the resort and enjoyed 5 nights inside Disney World. Thanksgiving with  family in Tampa and science museum and aquarium was fun before we flew back to Alaska.


  December; Back in Alaska and Nephew Dave spent two weeks and Christmas with us, very nice. New Years was spent home together, as we are not very social types. 2015 had been a fun year for both of us.


  January; We flew back to the Cabana on the 17th and my friend Shaun got there on the 24th, then we replaced the old wood fence around our tiny back yard. He fixed a few more handyman things for me also, I am all thumbs with wood projects. Then Shaun and I took a road trip to see Coral Castle and the worlds largest car museum, then the next day it was diving museum and three nights in Key West to explore. He really enjoyed himself. The day we got back, I drove Kathy to the airport so she could fly to Steamboat Springs to ski and enjoy time in the hot springs and her time with Nephew Dave. Shaun and I did the NASA museums and local beaches and then he flew back to his job in Alaska.


  February; It was a quiet month with day trips to the Farmall Tractor museum, Winter Park to visit old friends and I got an hour of dual instruction in a T-6 Texan WWII trainer ( a real workout ).


  March; Our big trip to the Galapagos Islands off the coast of Ecuador. If it were possible, I would spend the rest of my life there. We went in shoulder season when it is less crowded and cheaper, but it is still not a cheap trip. Then back at the Cabana it was Easter Mass and a drive to visit family again in Tampa.


  April;  Hanging around the Island. Kathy flew to Detroit for a niece's Communion and family visit. I stayed out of trouble with Kitty at the Cabana and awaited her return. She returned on the 11th and we flew back to Alaska on the 14th. On the 19th we flew to Oahu and stayed in the Resort on Waikiki beach and had a streak of great luck in getting free room upgrade and discount trip to Kauai which we enjoyed very much. Then we took the sub down to the bottom of the sea and were amazed at all the new things added to make artificial reefs. Many more fish down there now, so I guess they are working. I enjoyed the women's thong beech volley ball competition and Kathy enjoyed the surfers and it was a big carnival event being held while we were there. Too soon the ten nights were over and we flew back to Alaska and went into live cheap mode to save our budget.


  May;  We went to the local antique tractor club plow in again this year. A very good event they put on. Then we had a mini trip to Seward and enjoyed great weather for two days. No whale viewing boat rides, as we are in money saving mode. My friend invited us to his ' Hanger is complete ' party, good food and many people I had not seen in a while. We went to the Palmer parade for our first time and were impressed at how good it was. Then we started our dollar movies and five mile walks and a picnic in the mountains each week. We kept that up all Summer. 


  June; Three airplane rides for me to refresh my skills. Mowing yard and then we flew to Steamboat Springs for two weeks with Nephew Dave, a fun airplane ride and the Forth of July event.


 July; After we got back from Colorado, it was back to mowing, walking, movies, picnics, exercise etc. 


 August;  Sunday the 7th was a life changing event for me. A heart attack that you survive is a good thing, but it puts life in a new perspective. Relearning how to eat and mucho exercise has been the agenda. I had signed up for a mountain top tour of a missile complex with my friend Pete and really wanted to make it. I was amazed my body had recovered enough to walk around at 6000 feet.


 Sept; Cardio PT 3 times a week and a two mile fast walk on other days has been my life. Pete and I went shooting, but my arms were not up to my heavy target pistol, but we had fun anyway. My arms are a lot stronger now. Kathy did her volunteer weekend with the kids at Camp Erin.
  We end the year on vacation in sunny Seward Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment