Monday, November 13, 2017

A Call From an Old Coworker

Boeing 727 internet pic
  I got a call today from an old coworker who has now moved up on the power ladder. Do you still miss the cockpit? " Yes." Are you now bored with retirement and ready for adventure again? " Er No!." It has now been ten years since I worked in this office. After saying no to a temp desk job until a seat opened again, I went back into electronics which paid a lot more, yet was not as much fun.  I then retired for the 2nd time from an electronics job.

 It was good to hear from him and hear about the old gang. They are still complaining about pay and work conditions, same as when I worked there. He wanted to know what I did to occupy my time, after which he said I was not living the same life as the other retired pilots he knew. I retired early after my wife retired early also. He wished me well and says call him in Spring for a ride in his Super Cub.

 I may not live long enough to enjoy Winter after all the free meals provided for vets and my food choices there. Thanks, Applebees. Thanks, Texas Roadhouse. Thanks, Golden Corral. It was very nice that they provided good meals and made their times different at least for gluttons like me.
Alto Clef has been on my mind this week

 Near zero at night and teens in afternoon. The streets are icy and slick. It feels like Winter now. We have six more days of it.

 Today we had the first monkey wrench thrown into our vacation plans. La Quinta cancelled our Miami reservations before and after our flight to South America. Hurricane damage caused then to close and rebuild. So we spent the day setting up new reservations with car storage. That was stress we didn't need. We are spending a lot more but basically have same reservations at Holiday Inn. 

 Kinda odd that I do not have a burning desire to leave for the Winter this year. I was even looking at new snow blowers at Home Depot! Perhaps 6 tropical Winters can cure Winter burnout.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice to be remembered and asked to return to your previous job. Did you retire from the military and then from another job as well? Everyone says winter is early this year. Sounds like you should try a winter at home to see if one would cure you. Maybe the cancellation was a sign. They sure waited until the last minute to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did. A boatload of overtime made it possible. Winter seems late up here to me. Thanks for the cure suggestion. I am not taking that as a sign, me thinks it was a insurance benefit for them. More time would have been nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at snowblowers? Quick, you need counseling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made my day reading this comment! It is shoe studs weather here and 6 degrees.

      Delete
    2. You are borderline in violation of the "International Institute Of Not Doing Much" membership code. Snowblowers are verboten.

      Delete
    3. I sure do not want to be banned from that club. It is the only one that fits my lifestyle. Today I drove a friends kid to school at 7 am and 6 degrees. My van sleeps in the garage, but was chilly by the time we got to school. Most people seen to like cold. Not Me.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Bill ... you need counseling and quick. Or maybe an intervention. Don't feel like leaving single digits and ice ... I'm speechless and of little help since I have my own issues. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy thinks you and Bill need to spend a Winter up here. She is a cold and snow lover and thinks you could be conditioned to like it.

      Delete